Summer 2021 Trend Watch
Click on image to download high resolution version
By Jordan Hart
Spring has sprung and with an increasingly vaccinated population, shoppers are slowly but surely emerging from lockdowns and returning to a sense of normalcy. For many, this means returning to offices after a year of working from home and pairing sweatpants with collared shirts. Similar to the mullet, many of us were rocking business on top, comfy on the bottom. As pajama bottoms are soon to be relegated back to bedtime apparel, customers are chomping at the bit to get back into the world in fresh, fun, and fashionable outfits. If you haven’t already stocked up on the season’s key trends, now is the perfect time to connect with an OFFPRICE vendor for ready-to-ship styles.
Many trends we saw this spring are continuing into the summer season (If you need to brush up on spring trends, you can read our spring round up >> here). To make sure your store is prepared with the most desirable trends this summer, we’ve recapped the expert predictions from Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire and GQ:
- Wide-leg Trousers: Comfortable apparel is a luxury that many are not ready to give up, even as they return to working outside the home. Bye bye skinny jeans - wide leg and relaxed fit trousers are set to be the preferred pant style for the foreseeable future. This trend is transcending genders, and if your customers aren’t onboard with the Harry Styles level of flare, straight leg ankle denim is a perfect alternative.
- Pastels: These easy on the eye hues are a calming invitation to relax and enjoy the nice weather! When stocking pastel pieces for your store, it is essential to offer a few coordinating items in the same color, as the pastel trend is often seen in monochromatic looks.
- Cropped: While midriff baring tops continue to dominate women’s runways, menswear brands have decided not to miss out on the fun. Cropped bombers were cropping up on SS’21 runways and offer a new take on a classic item.
Sandals & Clogs: Although people may be ready to get out of the house, they aren’t ready to get back into uncomfortable heels. A few key themes will define this summer trend: "Flatform” (yes, platform flats), chunky (from soles to straps), and elevated casual styles will lead the pack.
- Strappy & Cut-out: This trend is popping up all over runways in unique fashions. Think beyond the basic halter or cold shoulder top; customers will be looking for silhouettes that stand out with unexpected straps and cut-outs, on the sides or in the back.
- Metallics & Netting: Living room dance parties will soon be relocating back to live dance floors and disco-ball chic is the look to go for with metallic materials in dresses and tops. Alternatively, take a play on a sea-inspired look with netted materials.
- Sheer Maxis: Floor length dresses can be a bit too hot to handle when temperatures rise but sheer material maxi dresses are designed to be light and breezy to keep you looking and feeling cool. This trend compliments everyone’s wanderlust desires.
- Minimalist Swimwear: Don’t expect a lot of frills this season when it comes to swimwear. Bows, ruffles, and ties are being left behind for clean lines and minimal patterns. Color blocking and reversable patterns will appeal to shoppers looking for more exciting styles.
Aviator Shades: While this style of sunglasses seems to never go out of fashion, modern tints on lenses add a colorful twist to the classic.
- “Shackets”: Traditionally known as overshirts, the shirt/jacket hybrid piece elevates any basic summer t-shirt and shorts outfit. The functionality of shackets is in line with the “New Utility” aesthetic, which is a style that is “emerging from the apocalypse” according to GQ.
- Nautical Themes: If you can hear waves lapping against the side of a ship that’s because boating season is around the corner. Blue and cream tones paired with stripes and florals make up a nautical theme for menswear this season.
- Trench Coats: Why use an umbrella when you could look chic and repel water at the same time? Similar to other 90’s trends that have recently re-emerged, the classic trench gets revamped into oversized styles to revitalize the summer outerwear category.
- Bermudas: These shorts are back to remind the men in your life not to skip leg day. This season expect bold patterns and cuffed hems to spice up this classic short style.
Neon: Similar to the bold pattern shorts, neon is all about making a statement and being seen. Florescence yellow is a staple of the neon family to incorporate into your wardrobe.
While Covid-19 is still a reality we all must live with, people are ready to get back to living as we once did with office meetings, dinner dates, coffee with friends, and reunions with loved ones. Shoppers will be eager to catch up on the trends and emerge from lock down in the most current fashions. OFFPRICE allows you to add in-season trends to your inventory at low-risk cost. You can connect with our buyer relations team to get matched with ready-to-ship deals today. We’ll provide a custom list of recommended vendors based on your business’ needs. >> Contact Buyer Relations or call 262-754-6921
We are ready to welcome you back to in person events this August 7-10 as we kick off Las Vegas Fashion Week in our new venue at the Las Vegas Convention Center. Join our LinkedIn group to stay up to date about show news and the OFFPRICE community.